What I'm listening to right now

Friday, February 28, 2014

SONG OF THE DAY: "Resuscitation of the Year" by The Flatliners

I'm coming out of a fairly rough time in my life. I won't go into many details, but I feel like it's finally over. This has been a very good week, and I'm in a very good place mentally, professionally, and physically.

The Flatliners are quite an incredible band, and they deserve a better introduction than the one I'm giving them. Their 2010 album, Cavalcade, stands as one of the truly great and uniquely awesome punk albums ever to come out in the 40-year history of the genre. Their most recent album, last year's Dead Language, nearly equals the power of its predecessor. The songs are just as good, if not better on average than those on Cavalcade. If anything, the only thing Dead Language lacks is the same immediacy felt on Cavalcade, and, as such, the impact is somewhat lesser.

Nevertheless, this song speaks directly to my current situation. This song is not among the top 10 (or maybe even 20) best songs by this band, but it is a decent introduction to the band and album. However, the words and emotions portrayed on this song sum up my experiences so perfectly, it would be a crime not to choose it. The incredibly heartfelt way in which he screams about coming back to life again, the way he speaks of the debt he eternally owes to his friends for being there, it's just perfect.

One of my favorite things about music is its ability to translate very specifically to my own life, letting me know that I'm not alone and there are others going through the same thing. And, more importantly, there are others who have gone through the same thing and survived it, coming out on the other side a better, stronger version of themselves. That's what "Resuscitation of the Year" is about: coming back to life. And that's the way I feel today. I hope that feeling never goes away.


No comments:

Post a Comment