What I'm listening to right now

Thursday, February 20, 2014

SONG OF THE DAY: "Learn to Live Without" by The Sidekicks

Well, today I went to Reckless Records in Chicago after learning that it's about three blocks from my place. Huge mistake. I'm going to be there every day. While there, I was able to hold back from maxing out my bank account, and I walked out with only Signals Midwest's fantastic Light On the Lake on a nice deep blue/black mix that looks amazing. In honor of that event, I wanted to post a Signals song, but I'll save it for a date not so close to their singer, Max Stern, getting his own SotD. However, it made me realize that I should promote my awesome hometown scene of Cleveland, Ohio a little more. There are some amazing bands there that deserve more recognition.

The Sidekicks are one of those bands. Although they have since moved down to Columbus, I still like to think of them as Cleveland boys. They've been putting out records since 2007's very debut-like 2007 debut So Long, Soggy Dog. After ditching the gruff-punk of that record, they really stepped their game up for the following year's Sam EP. They then went full-on pop/punk for their 2009 album Weight of Air, which ended up getting voted Punknews.org's Album of the Year! Crazy, right?! They must be super famous by now!

Well, unfortunately, not exactly. For all the acclaim that record received, they are still relatively unheard of, even in the punk scene. Even after the release of 2012's Awkward Breeds, their best record yet, they remained on the down-low. That doesn't make that album any less amazing though. They went back to the music they grew up with and were first inspired by, namely Weezer's Pinkerton and other similar '90s alt-rock bands. They blend these influences in a refreshing way with unique melodies, incredible harmonies, inventive guitar playing, fantastic musicianship, and creative song structures to establish themselves as one of the more progressive pop/punk bands going today. Their songs also frequently feature the sweetest falsetto vocals you'll hear this side of Justin Timberlake courtesy of lead singer Steven Smith.

They've started playing new songs live, so there may be a new album in the works. Be on the lookout for that. In the meantime, get a load of one of my favorite songs "Learn to Live Without," the sound of someone coming to terms with the end of a relationship. Once all the emotions are gone, all you can do is accept it and figure out how to live without. Oh, but don't worry, the song rocks, too, especially during that rager of an outro. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment