What I'm listening to right now

Sunday, February 23, 2014

SONG OF THE DAY: "Everlasting Light" by The Black Keys

Okay, it's late and I'm feeling somewhat lazy right now, so I'm going to pick a song everyone knows by a band everyone knows. But it's still a good song, so deal with it. Plus, they're from Akron, and that's cool. 

Brothers is a great album. After five albums of varying levels of quality and success, the band finally broke through to the mainstream with this one. As such, it's generally seen as the first album where The Black Keys started going in a poppier direction. I don't really care about things like "selling out" as long as the music is good, and I especially don't care when I don't know a band's underground/indie past. In fact, one thing I respect about The Black Keys is their willingness to experiment, as they did on Blakroc.

The single "Tighten Up" was and is a super cool song. I love the whistling and the change in tempo about two-thirds of the way through. That was all I knew about the band for some time, but then they got huge and continue to be after the release of the less good, more poppy El Camino. "Lonely Boy" is catchy and had a hilarious video, and "Little Black Submarines" is an undeniably tight song that sounds like Zeppelin at their best, but the rest of that album was rather unmemorable. Brothers was likely a creative peak. I mean, listen to those first four songs. Most bands are lucky to have one song in their whole discography that is as good as any of those four songs.

"Everlasting Light" starts things off in the best way. That intro gets stuck in my head for days at a time, so, I'm bringing you all down with me. Listen and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment