What I'm listening to right now

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

SONG OF THE DAY: "Master of Art" by Laura Stevenson and the Cans

I almost forgot to do a Song of the Day today, but there's still time! So, today I bring you a beautiful song by Laura Stevenson and the Cans. This song is on my mind mostly because I had a conversation about her two nights ago with a friend who is literally the only other person I've ever met who has heard of Laura Stevenson (she's even seen her live at a house show!). Crazy!

Laura was formerly a keyboardist in Bomb the Music Industry! and she still tours with them from time to time. So, because of that connection, and for really no other apparent reason other than that she's really good, she is adored by punk fans around the world. Her music is decidedly not punk. And yet, I only discovered her through punk websites. Go figure.

She has released three albums, with last year's Wheel being her best (and my #5 album of 2013!). While she often strides on the folk side of the folk/pop line, on Wheel, she began branching out into heavier, more full territory, not too dissimilar from Company of Thieves' recent work. But no matter what style, her voice is adorable and she's pretty darn cute as well. The song "Master of Art," off of 2011's Sit Resist, is one of her more famous songs, and it deserves to be. I think the video is pretty cool as well. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment