What I'm listening to right now

Saturday, January 25, 2014

SONG OF THE DAY: "Great Lakes / Great Escapes" by The Lawrence Arms

So, in order to help share incredible music with the rest of the world, and to ensure that content is added regularly to this blog, I decided to start a new feature: SONG OF THE DAY!

As the name might suggest, I will, to the best of my ability, be posting a song every day that I think everyone should listen to in order to expose people to great new artists and styles of music. Not everything's for everyone, so no hard feelings if something isn't to your liking. But if you're always on the search for new music like I am, this feature might be just what you're looking for.

I think it's pretty appropriate that I start things off with the song that is the namesake for this blog. "Great Lakes / Great Escapes," off the band's brilliant 2006 album, Oh! Calcutta! might come off as a pretty heavy, loud punk song, but it's the lyrics that make it stand out. So, if you're a lyrics guy like me, I highly suggest reading along as you listen.

The band is also from Chicago, which is fitting for the inaugural SotD post, and they will be releasing their sixth album (and first in almost eight years), Metropole, next Tuesday. Luckily, the Internet exists and I have already given it many thorough listens, and I can assure you the band hasn't lost a step in that span. A song or two from that album will most likely show up as an SotD at some point.

The Larry Arms opened their New Year's Eve show at Concord Music Hall with this song, and that night proved to be one of the best I've ever had (this is how I brought in the New Year; awesome, right?!). The band is great, and their four most recent albums should all be essential listening for anyone intrigued by this song.

So, who knows? This could be the best 2 minutes and 50 seconds of your day. Or the worst. But, hey, you'll never know 'til you listen!


I scratched my name into the table.
The knife and phone just fucking lay there.
I orchestrate a day of routine elements.
These letters are so old and faded.

And in the end we'll burn in history.
I'll take a chance and fall in love tonight.
I'm lost and found, so lost again.
I wonder as I'm wandering.

I used to paint myself with sentiment.
But all my colors turned to gray.
I spent the night out on the wire again.
But I wasn't looking for a savior...

And in the end we'll burn in history.
I'll take a chance and fall in love tonight.
I'm lost and found, so lost again.
I don't worry when I'm wandering.

Great Lake - I don't need a Great Escape.
Tonight, I've got this city on my side. 

And in the end we'll burn in history.
Yeah, I could fall in love with her tonight. 
I'm lost and found, so lost again.
Nothing to do but keep on wandering. 

And we can live with our mistakes.
Yeah, all my friends are going out tonight.
And I can't sit here just waiting for another day to die...

Fuck all this ancient history. (x3)

No comments:

Post a Comment